I came to Spalding in February 1996, with my wife Linda and my son Daniel, having completed a tour of duty with the Royal Air Force in Cyprus. I retired from the RAF in Sep 2005 after 38 years service. I became a district councillor on South Holland DC in May 1999 and currently hold a cabinet position with responsibility for Waste, Recycling, Green Spaces and Carbon Management. I am also the chairman of the Planning Committee.
First and foremost, I believe that the role of a councillor is to represent the views and interests of all taxpayers, not just those who voted for him or her, or who happen to share the same interests. A councillor should always be prepared to stand up for what is right and for the fair and equal treatment for all citizens.
During my time as a district councillor, I have come to realise that being at the southern end of Lincolnshire means that we in South Holland have to work that much harder to make our voices heard in Lincoln. I would now like the opportunity to make sure that Spalding South is always one of the voices being heard at our county council.
One of the most important jobs for any elected member is to act as the local face of the council and to work to ensure that people get the best possible service from their district or county council. As a district councillor, I believe that I have a proven track record of achievement on behalf of those who live in my ward, the people of Spalding and for South Holland. I am now asking for your support to help me continue this work as a member of Lincolnshire County Council.
As your county councillor, I promise to work hard and to use my experience as district councillor and my deep commitment to South Holland, to promote our district as whole. I will work hard to ensure that the views of the people of the Spalding South division are fully represented and always properly considered by the county council.
My priorities include:
- Seeking to reduce traffic congestion and improve the traffic flows in and around Spalding.
- Finding a way to increase the number of areas currently served by the InTo Town bus service.
- Encouraging the county council to look at the introduction of a 20mph speed limit in all residential areas.
- Ensuring that the county council continues to work towards achieving a relief road to the north west of Spalding.
- Ensuring the residents of Spalding South are fully represented at the county council at every opportunity
- I will do my utmost to press the county council to find a permanent and effective solution to the traffic congestion in Spalding town centre
- Continuing to put pressure on Anglian Water to address the stench from West Marsh Road Sewage Works
A few achievements